Customs and Trade News Snapshot
Here is a recap of the latest customs and international trade news:
Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
- CBP Seizes $3M in Counterfeit Watches – CBP officers at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport seized five counterfeit Richard Mille watches originating from Hong Kong.
- Harmonized System Update: Harmonized System Update (HSU) 2308 was created on June 30th, 2023, and contains 855 ABI records and 178 harmonized tariff records. This update contains modifications mandated by the 484 (F) Committee, the Committee for Statistical Annotation of the Tariff Schedules, effective July 1, 2023.
- EAPA case update: Suzhou Quality Import and Export Co. (notice of initiation of investigation and interim measures).
- EAPA case update: Vanguard Trading Company LLC (notice of determination as to evasion).
- CBP releases Quarterly IRS interest rates used in calculating interest on overdue accounts and refunds of customs duties.
United States Trade Representative (USTR)
- United States, Mexico, and Canada hold the second meeting of the Labor Council under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement.
Department of Commerce
- Sayari awarded contract with U.S. Department of Commerce for enhanced export control investigations – Sayari was awarded a $7.8 million dollar contract from CBP to support the mitigation of ongoing global supply chain risks.
- Final Results of Antidumping Duty Administrative Review: Certain Frozen Warmwater Shrimp From Thailand.
- Continuation of Antidumping Duty Orders: Certain Frozen Warmwater Shrimp From the People’s Republic of China, India, Thailand, and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam: Continuation of Antidumping Duty Orders.
- Final Results of Changed Circumstances Reviews, and Intent To Revoke the Antidumping and Countervailing Duty Orders: Crystalline Silicon Photovoltaic Products From the People’s Republic of China.
- Initiation of several five-year reviews (Sunset Reviews) of the antidumping and countervailing duty (AD/CVD) order(s) and suspended investigation(s) listed here.
Federal Maritime Commission (FMC)
- FMC releases May 2023 activity report
- 2 shipping lines pay civil penalties totaling $2.65 million
- John G. Crews, II named FMC BEIC Director
- Charge complaint refunds hit $1M
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- FDA releases update of priority guidance topics for foods program. The list updates the guidance agenda released in February 2023 and focuses on Level 1 draft and final guidances.
Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- President Joe Biden has nominated Virginia Solicitor General Andrew Ferguson and Utah Solicitor General Melissa Holyoak to fill Republican slots at the Federal Trade Commission.
Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS)
- BIS announces 4th TTC Export Control Outreach on July 19 – BIS, in cooperation with DG Trade of the European Commission, will hold the 4th stakeholders outreach event under the US-EU Technology Trade Council (US-EU TTC) Export Control Working Group on July 19. The event will focus on re-export of dual-use items.
The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- Counter terrorism designations updates; Counter narcotics designations removals; Venezuela-related designations removals.
For more customs and trade news subscribe to the Diaz Trade Law newsletter.