What are the effects of a wasp sting?
In general, the manifestations of the wasp sting are mild and localized at the injection site.
- a sharp, sharp pain that occurs at the moment of the bite or a few seconds later;
- A swelling ;
- a redness ;
- fromitching(always at the bite site).
How long does the swelling last for a wasp sting?
Don’t worry, if the signs of a wasp sting are unpleasant, they disappear quickly. Very often, a slight induration as well as a mark (redness or bruising) may persist at the level of the bite area for a few days or weeks.
When to worry about a wasp sting?
You need to be alert, if the symptoms are generalized to the whole body, . In this case, it can be a allergic reaction. In addition, a multitude of wasp stings can cause a toxic reaction because of a large amount of poison. Finally, if the bite is located at eye level or even near the throat, the risks incurred are greater than in any other area of the body.
An allergic reaction or even anaphylactic shock
A wasp sting can be dangerous in case of allergic reactionserious.
An allergic reaction is recognized by generalized symptoms throughout the body. These manifestations are mild to moderate when they are only skin: itching, redness, edema (sometimes large) or even. generalized urticaria or another eruption…
It also happens that the patient feels digestive disorders (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea…), from headache and sometimes from fever. In this situation, a medical consultation is recommended.
Finally, the allergy can be more serious than driving breathing difficulties (feeling of suffocation), then we talkangioedema. These symptoms can be accompanied heart rhythm disorders (palpitations), of light headedfrom to pressure drop even from a loss of consciousness. Is the anaphylactic shock. If these signs appear, it is recommended to contact the UAS marking the 15 where the 112 or go directly to the emergency department to rule out any risk of complications or even death.
A multitude of wasp stings
Beyond 5 wasp stings for a child and 20 for an adult, the doses of poison they are toxic The injection may then cause vomiting, dizziness or discomfort. This can lead to loss of consciousness.
In order to avoid a large number of stings, it is advised not to make sudden movements after being stung by a wasp (so that it does not start again). Also avoid getting close to aa nest or one swarm of wasps. Finally, if you are attacked by several wasps, it is better to run. You can also immerse yourself in a body of water (lake, pool, sea…), if possible.
Sting in the mouth/throat or near the eye
The site of the wasp sting is also important… The sting may involve an organ when it is misplaced as is the case of a sting near the eye (on the eyelid or temple). In this case, swelling and pain are guaranteed. Better go to the hospital quickly.
Also pay attention to the wasp sting near the mouth or directly in the mouth or throat with one risk of suffocation due to swelling. So remember to keep a close eye on your glass when drinking a sweet product outside to eliminate the risk of swallowing any of these bugs.
How to relieve a wasp sting?
- If the wasp sting is on the extremities of the upper limbs (arms, hands, etc.), the first step is remove rings and bracelets to facilitate blood circulation and before the fingers are too swollen.
- To apply a disinfectant after cleaning the wasp sting with soap and water. You can use a antiseptic or simply alcohol vinegar.
- To apply a cold pocket (ice wrapped in cloth) against the stung area. You can also opt for anti-inflammatory or antihistamine cream.
- You can take one pain reliever (paracetamol) to soothe the pain.
- Check that the tetanus vaccination is up to date
See a doctor if symptoms persist after 24 hours.
What to do in case of allergy?
If general skin or digestive symptoms appear, a medical consultation is essential. Usually a oral antihistamine can be prescribed for you.
In case of breathing difficulties or other disturbing signs (dizziness, fever, palpitations, drop in blood pressure, etc.), you should call SAMU directly by calling 15 or 112. You can put the victim in lateral safety position while waiting for help. Consistent hospital care in particular an adrenaline injection it is essential to avoid the risk of complications or even death.
In case of allergic reactionif the person has a emergency kit which contains a self-injecting adrenaline penyou can perform this injection quickly.
Be careful, when the wasp sting causes significant edema in the airways, give the victim an ice pack to suck. This helps reduce swelling and allows you to breathe better while you wait for help.
What natural remedies to cure a wasp sting?
THE essential oils they have anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and soothing properties. Therefore, they are often suitable in case of insect bite. You can apply a drop of essential oil to the bite. Recommended oils include:
- i’spike lavender essential oil (soothing) o official lavender (against itching);
- the essential oil of peppermint (refreshing and effective against edema and pain);
- the essential oil oflemon eucalyptus (anti-inflammatory);
- the essential oil of bourbon geranium (healing).
You can use a blend of one or more of these four oils. It is also possible to mix them with vegetable oils.
Bicarbonate of sodium
You can also make a baking soda paste to relieve symptoms. To make a paste that is easy to apply, you need mix 2 to 3 parts baking soda with one part water. Then apply the paste to the bite for at least 5 minutes, until it dries, then rinse.
How to avoid the risk of bites?
Here are some easy-to-implement tips to avoid the risk of wasp stings:
- put on closed shoes during nature walks. Avoid walking barefoot;
- avoid staying with you sugary drinks (soft drinks, open fruit juices, etc.) or foods that attract wasps. Avoid canned drinks (a wasp could fall in without you noticing);
- avoid wearing smell or smelly cosmetics that attract wasps and make them aggressive;
- if a wasp approaches, avoid it sudden movements ;
- do not disturb wasps or their nests;
- stay away from garbage cans (where wasps can proliferate);
- wear and tear covering clotheswide and light in color.